I'm starting with a time-lapse in costume creation - the evolution of Jack & Sally, as it were - and THEN I'll recap the events of Halloween weekend.
A tank dress from TJ Maxx, a suit jacket from the consignment shop and enough material to make 17 Sally dresses... let the sewing begin!
Since I haven't the foggiest how to make a dress from scratch I used the tank dress onto which I sewed the patches - and then cut most of the original dress away! Just call me Martha!
Oh, Adrienne is trying to look worried, a la Sally after she has the premonition about Christmas going up in flames, and Nick is making the 'scary face' that Jack does to get the attention of those naughty trick-or-treaters, Lock, Shock & Barrel.
A tank dress from TJ Maxx, a suit jacket from the consignment shop and enough material to make 17 Sally dresses... let the sewing begin!
Since I haven't the foggiest how to make a dress from scratch I used the tank dress onto which I sewed the patches - and then cut most of the original dress away! Just call me Martha!
Oh, Adrienne is trying to look worried, a la Sally after she has the premonition about Christmas going up in flames, and Nick is making the 'scary face' that Jack does to get the attention of those naughty trick-or-treaters, Lock, Shock & Barrel.
Day 3 of sewing - and I found the PERFECT black & white striped socks-turned-legwarmers!
Bodysuit, tights, gloves and accessories!
The dress rehearsal on October 30th.... Not thrilled with their makeup - Sally is too white & Jack is too evil....
This is Halloween! This is Halloween!
Now... just in case there may be a person or 2 out there who isn't familiar with Jack & Sally.... here they are, side by side with their undead likeness.

*************************************************************
*********************
*******************************************
Back to the dress rehearsal (October 30th)....
Adrienne, errr Sally, was done up first. I got her into the living room - eyes closed & then positioned her in front of a huge mirror to see herself for the first time.
Open them!



Ditto for Jack!




Then the 2 of them were at it - making faces at each other...

.... and me.

100 years ago, my girlfriend made Sally's spoon for me in her ceramics class. It is one of the few things that decorates my desk....
It was MADE for this moment!!!
A very serious Jack & Sally

Not only did we attend the Halloween party of one of their classmates but then we went to Mima's concert. The children were invited to attend in costume but of course they were the only 2 actually IN costume....

Church... Halloween pary.... classical concert.... now up to meet the twins.... even the undead need to take a snooze.
(oh... the red hairspray.... talk about NIGHTMARE!! we have a coat of it over ev....er.....ry.....thing STILL - just look at the back of her carseat)
October 31st.... they started with a march around the school - trick or treating at each classroom!
No makeup or hairspray.... since I was at work I didn't want to put Greg completely over the edge.
But when IIIII got home.... we went all out AND I got the chance for a HUGE improvement on the makeup!! SO MUCH happier with the finished product!!!
(The ceramic spoon was lost after the concert.... I was crushed.... but a week later it magically appeared in the console tray in my car! It's now back in its rightful spot, front and center of my monitor, never to leave the safety of my desk again!)

Now for a few close-ups.... Sally's dress....

... makeup (and I went MUCH easier on the red this time)
..... my FAVORITE detail.... those leg warmers!!!

Jack was 99% makeup. The bowtie was pretty fantastic (I know, I know... it's supposed to be a bat..... but finding this bendy-leg spider was pretty clutch!) but alas, I ran out of time to do the white stripes on his suit....

First house... our ridiculously generous neighbors. Honestly, we didn't have to go anywhere else! They each got their own pumpkin JAR filled to the brim with a whole assortment of candy, light up pumpkins & a bunch of other goodies! The rest of trick or treating is going to be a huge dissapointment - the other treats they get will pale in comparison!!
And since they invited the kids in.... Nick thought he was invited in to EVERYONE'S house....
Now... just in case there may be a person or 2 out there who isn't familiar with Jack & Sally.... here they are, side by side with their undead likeness.

*************************************************************
*********************
*******************************************
Back to the dress rehearsal (October 30th)....
Adrienne, errr Sally, was done up first. I got her into the living room - eyes closed & then positioned her in front of a huge mirror to see herself for the first time.
Open them!
Ditto for Jack!
Then the 2 of them were at it - making faces at each other...
.... and me.
100 years ago, my girlfriend made Sally's spoon for me in her ceramics class. It is one of the few things that decorates my desk....
It was MADE for this moment!!!
A very serious Jack & Sally
Not only did we attend the Halloween party of one of their classmates but then we went to Mima's concert. The children were invited to attend in costume but of course they were the only 2 actually IN costume....
Church... Halloween pary.... classical concert.... now up to meet the twins.... even the undead need to take a snooze.
(oh... the red hairspray.... talk about NIGHTMARE!! we have a coat of it over ev....er.....ry.....thing STILL - just look at the back of her carseat)
October 31st.... they started with a march around the school - trick or treating at each classroom!
No makeup or hairspray.... since I was at work I didn't want to put Greg completely over the edge.

But when IIIII got home.... we went all out AND I got the chance for a HUGE improvement on the makeup!! SO MUCH happier with the finished product!!!
(The ceramic spoon was lost after the concert.... I was crushed.... but a week later it magically appeared in the console tray in my car! It's now back in its rightful spot, front and center of my monitor, never to leave the safety of my desk again!)
Now for a few close-ups.... Sally's dress....
... makeup (and I went MUCH easier on the red this time)
..... my FAVORITE detail.... those leg warmers!!!
Jack was 99% makeup. The bowtie was pretty fantastic (I know, I know... it's supposed to be a bat..... but finding this bendy-leg spider was pretty clutch!) but alas, I ran out of time to do the white stripes on his suit....
First house... our ridiculously generous neighbors. Honestly, we didn't have to go anywhere else! They each got their own pumpkin JAR filled to the brim with a whole assortment of candy, light up pumpkins & a bunch of other goodies! The rest of trick or treating is going to be a huge dissapointment - the other treats they get will pale in comparison!!
And since they invited the kids in.... Nick thought he was invited in to EVERYONE'S house....
It took about 6 houses of Nick inviting himself in.... us apologizing to the stunned homeowner.... and ushering him back outside before he comprehended that no, he was not supposed to waltz into every house he trick or treated!!
Can't pass up a photo op with Jack & Jack!
Trick or treat till the neighbors gonna die of fright.
It's our town, everybody scream.
In this town of Halloween.....
OK, OK so maybe Yiayia Lou wasn't so frightened after all....
And one final trick or treat....
The final tally: TWO shopping bags EACH, jam packedwith goodies and this was AFTER Yiayia pilfered ALL the little bags of chips!!
Check out YOUR loot. No! Check out YOUR loot!
~ Addendum ~
Jack's Lament
Both of the kids so passionately sing along to the NBX soundtrack in the car.... Not knowing 1/2 the lyrics always makes for a good time.... but Adrienne trumped all other lyrical mishaps this past weekend. "Oh, somewhere deep inside of these bones...." became
"Oh, somewhere deep inside of my nose...." And now we know where the Oogie Boogie Man came from!
No comments:
Post a Comment