Monday, October 31, 2011

September - A Yarmulke & the Cover of Sports Illustrated

Another trip down to the 'BIG' aquarium with Mima & Pop Pop!

These guys were QUITE a hit. We're still (2mos later as I write this) getting lessons on undersea sign language - hammer head shark, 'regular' shark, turtle, sting ray - if it's a perilous sea creature I know how to sign it.
One of the divers actually had a microphone & was talking back & forth with the kids. It blew their little flippers off!

The aquarium houses the largest touch tanks in US (North America? world? something like that) and they took full advantage! They even pet a horseshoe crab! (I'm sorry.... but those things creep me out. They belong in a Star Trek (not Wars) episode, NOT on East Coast beaches.)

For some odd reason I don't think getting eaten by a REAL shark would be quite this fun...

Sure getting up close & personal with exotic marine live is fun and all... but nothing beats the morning after a sleepover at Mima & Pop Pops: Letting the air out of the mattress.

Her newest trick du jour... turning circles. It's crazy! Watching my little girl on such a big bike doing loop-d-loops around the development. I wish I had it on video instead of still shots - she's moving a quite a clip which blows my mind even more!! It's funny - in person, there appears to be way-too-much-bike with this little thing propped on top. But in pictures they look perfectly proportioned!
Maybe it's one of those 'optical illusions' like the car commercial where the father is lecturing his daughter (all of 5 years old) in the driver's seat and right before she puts the car in gear we see she's really a 17 year old?! Am I seeing a little baby when she's really on the verge of being a big kid?!

You have to crank the volume on this one.... Every bump is met with a 'ooof', 'ugh' or 'huh'.




Adrienne took off like a bat out of hell & left Nick in the dust. Poor boy peddled so fast while trying to catch up I thought his legs were going to fall off!




He did finally catch up.... and the race is on! Sorry kiddo. She's about to SMOKE ya!

She was just starting to pick up speed - one of those hills that doesn't look like anything... until you're suddenly flying down it!

Nick is OBSESSED with the video of me chasing Adrienne at Tom's laser tag birthday party in February - shrieking "I'm gonna get ya! I'm gonna get ya!" (I can barely stand listening to myself in the video I don't know how he listens constantly.). Anyway, this time he wanted me to get him! That is, until I did. And then he didn't like it. But thought it would be just fine & dandy if I went and got Adrienne again. !??!




Wait, is this a bike helmet or a yarmulke!?
Seriously. His head really IS that big.... it's not just me making jokes all the time...

Big noggin or not.... he's still deliciously ADORABLE!

Since Nick's birthday (and the deluge of super hero toys & costumes) she's been donning a 'super' somebody daily. With Greg's help Spidrienne is actually climbing the walls.

When in character she inevitably asks, "Mommy, what can I do to save you?" (so cute!) Well, after seeing the grime on your gloves from creeping along the door frame how about a little dusting?! And just like that.... Wonder Duster was born!

We came home to another fabulous home-baked treat - bagels! How cool is that?!? I had no idea bagels were something that could be made at home!!!

Oh hallelujah.
It IS over.
The magazine that vexes me so terribly is finally a thing of the past....
(To this day I still have no idea why I was getting it.... if it was a gift... if it was a freebee because I bought something else.... no clue.)

I signed the kids up for an Introduction to Sports class - 4 Saturday mornings, the fundamentals of 4 different sports.
Day 1: Soccer
They started with making the kids run. And run & run. I like this class already.

It amazes me how orderly and attentive they all look.... in a picture. This must've been that one split second before they realized they were about to start letting loose on the soccer ball.

Basic skill #1: Dribbling
(Nick just stood around drooling....)

We finally got him moving but he was just not grasping this standing-on-the-ball idea. WHY couldn't he kick it?! WHY couldn't he stand on the ball with BOTH feet?! WHY MOMMY, WHY?!?!
ARRRGGGGH! BECAUSE!!! THAT'S WHY!!!!

Playing Red Light, Green Light while dribbling the ball and stopping it. Adrienne ROCKED it! I was stunned! Everything the coaches taught the kids she picked up immediately! I was so proud of her!!! (and that was true for all 4 classes - I'm still in awe of how well she did!!)

Nick.... well.... maybe he was a little young for this class. 3 of the 4 classes he checked out at the 40min mark, if not sooner, and ended up pouting on the sidelines.

Mia Hamm... you've met your match!
After class we walked over to the playground - this was definitely more his speed!

Quite possibly one of the most boring pictures EVER. But they INSISTED I take it. What you can't tell is that everything they're standing on wobbles. It looks like they're just plain ol' standing there, but ironically they are doing everything in their power to do just that! While the discs are shimmying under their feet the poles are actually wrapped around suspended chain link!

No comments: