Saturday, September 24, 2011

August - Only 360 Days Left...

New cell phone and the kids offer (OFFER I tell you!!!) to let me take a picture of them for my new wallpaper!
!!!! H-A-M-S !!!!!
(but I love it!)
I get a text with this picture & the text: "I don't wanna!"
Yup. Guess who's feeling a WHOLE LOTTA 3 lately.
I heard the rumors & read ALL about it before Adrienne turned 3 and now we've got living proof 2x over. I'll take 'Terrible Twos' any day over 'Polly Pissy Pants Threes'.

Our FIRST beach day together. Yes, that's right. It's August. Mid-August, no less. And we're FINALLY getting to the beach. Well if we didn't live so FAR AWAY it would be so much easier to get there more often...... right?!?!

Adrienne, Undertow. Undertow, Adrienne.

She loved the thrill of getting sucked back into the ocean... until she realized she couldn't stop it & got sufficiently spooked.
Respecting the ocean but not being fearful of it.... that's a hard lesson to teach a little kid!

One of the few pictures I got of them together. The beach is one of those places where their like-magnetic-forces turn into high gear and they go in polar opposite directions the entire time.

So little Miss-Cry-Over-Everything was a TROOPER! She got HAMMERED multiple times and kept on tickin'. Wait... you need to see a close up of this one.............

Trying SO hard not to get her face wet!

"See mommy! All good!"

I don't know what it is about this shot.... the lighting... the angle... pure sweet joy of the moment... love it!

Getting b****-slapped by the ocean once again....

.... and still all good! I can't believe how far she's come in just one season!

Greg worked so hard to turn them into a mermaid and merman...

Nick demolished his tail the second Greg stepped away. But Adrienne was tickled aqua!

So this random little kid hovered around us for no less than 2 hours. Seriously. He wouldn't quite play with us.... he just stood.......... with us. Wherever we were. At our blanket... In the water.... He was there.
His mom & her girlfriends (along with a slew of kids) were at the next blanket. He just wandered over to us & never went back. When they were FINALLY packing up the mom walked over to collect the semi-abandoned boy & commented, "Now you know what it's like to have 3 kids!" and proceeded to laugh at how funny she was. Alrighty then................
But anyway, Greg built this crazy good fortress with a moat and bridge! Highly impressive!!!

Another crazy, hazy, not-so-lazy day this summer they were introduced to......... water balloons!

Taking a break from pummeling each other for a little joy ride in the driveway. Love this picture!

Wait. Water balloons got me..... wet????

Oh HALLELUJAH! The Italian festival is back in town.
I'll try to adequately explain the frequency with which I get asked about the fair, which is held at the park 4 blocks from our house. The same park we pass AT LEAST once a day. Need I say more?
The fair is 5 days long. I've been hearing about the fair since it packed up and moved on last year. That's 360 days++ of hearing, "Mommy... there's no fair today??" "Mommy... when is the fair coming back??" "Mommy... will the fair be here tomorrow??" "Mommy... where did the fair go??"
Well guess what!

Yup. First day. We were there & in the ticket line BEFORE it officially 'opened'. Greg even managed to sneak out early to join us for this momentous occasion.

Yeah, as much as everyone says we look alike, and we do... not so much in this picture. But that's ok. It's just lovely to have someone taking a picture OF us!
(And my favorite line of the night... We were on a different ride that had us swinging & bucking all around. Adrienne's eyes got real wide and with a giggle she said, "It's scarin' my belly!" Too cute!)

Just as a forewarning: Every picture I took this particular evening is freaking awesome. EVERY. PICTURE. So I narrowed it down but this posting is still innundated with far more than need be. First ride. SWEET!

Hello down there!

OK, this ride is just awesome. It's the bouncy car. I didn't get to go on it this year. Bummer. Well, I guess there's only 360 more days to go & I can get another shot!

And the coup de grace of the Italian fair....... a ride on top of the fire engine!

Poor Greg - he got whomped on the head with a hefty tree branch. Of course the kids thought that was HYSTERICAL.

Yes, Posh Spice came along for the ride.

"That was AWESOME, Nick! Let's ask Mommy when we can do that again!"

And just like that. It's time to go home.

Preparing to jockey the last race of the season at Monmouth Park, they're hard at work training. Hey..... they're the perfect size!

And after the riding lesson back to the grind.... making us DINNER!
That's right... we walked in the door after a hard day of work to a delicious, home-cooked dinner of MASHED POTATOES and.....

........ CORN ON THE COB and..........

...........MEATLOAF! YUMMY across the board!

So this month heralds not one but 2 summerific events. Of course the Italian fair (all hail Sopranos!) but also the Ducky Derby. Now, I don't get asked about the Ducky Derby quite as often. It usually only comes up during baths since their Ducky Derby Ducks are in with the bath toys. So we're talking 4+ times a week vs multiple times a day. Not nearly so eye-gougingly repetitive.
Anyway, we get there and head over to the duck pond where they get to 'fish' for ducks. I DIDN'T EVEN HAVE MY CAMERA OUT YET and Nick snagged a duck the first time he dropped the line in the pond!

Poor Adrienne. It took her FOREVER to catch one....

This is how we kill time (aka trying to keep them from running off to play in the muddy marsh that COMPLETELY surrounds us) while we waited for the start of the race: Making crazy faces & taking pictures so they can see how silly they look.

Here they come!
(Nick's enthusiasm for the Ducky Derby doesn't quite match Adrienne's....)
The little quackers coming roaring down the raging rapids!
Or maybe more like bob-bob-bobbing along the barely bubbling brook...

And what was that about muddy marshes? Well. While we were waiting for the start of the race I saw both of them, glint in their eye, duck clenched in hand as they looked from their duck to the stream and back again.
"DON'T do it. If you throw your duck in that water we leave. End of story."
And they didn't. But Little-Miss-Likes-to-Push-Limits had her duck on the edge of the 'ravine' and just as the race finished her duck just happened to topple off into the mud. I gave her the look of death. She knew she was in deep. (Yet it was ME who didn't realize how deep III was about to be in it!) I asked some guy if I could hold on to him while I stepped down with one leg (while my other was still on top) to grab the duck. The split second I touched down it was like quicksand. ppppffflllllttt My flipflop got sucked into the mud. I'm now shooting daggers at Adrienne. The guy offers to go down to get it. No, no, no. No reason for him to get all muddy & lose a shoe too. We repeat the process & I wedge my foot in, pull up & SNAP. My brand new, uber comfy, super expensive (ok, $7 vs the usual $1.99 Old Navy jobbers) Tommy Hilfiger flipflops are now all flop, no flip.
Yeah, she's still apologizing for that one.

No comments: