(No, he's not pointing at the parade. Actually, I have no idea what he's pointing at. The road was blocked off so he's either pointing to a tree across the street or something only he can see....)
Another futile attempt to get a cute picture of them together.
"How big are you!?!??" "ADRIENNE!! NICK!! HOW BIG ARE YOU!?!"
Adrienne stretched so hard her feet almost popped off.
Nick took his hat off.
*sigh*
After what seemed like another 20 minutes of my mom & me jumping up & down in the middle of the street trying to get them to both look somewhat happy, simultaneously, they obliged. Sort of. I think they just wanted us to stop making asses of ourselves.
The parade starts & before I know it Adrienne has 3, yes THREE, boyscouts front & center piling lollipops in her lap. Work your feminine charm, baby!! WORK IT!!!!!!
Scouts, lilliputian cheerleaders, schools, packs of clowns with rogue gorillas all pass with much excitement pouring from the peanut gallery.
Then came the fire trucks BLARING their horns & sirens.
Oh, and my dad's bff, whose house we're at... is the Deal Fire Company Chaplain so they REALLY ramped it up for us.
Adrienne started up a chant that would've impressed even Dorothy...
"Mommy, I want to go home. Mommy, I want to go home. Mommy, ......"
However. Nick was quite the opposite.
He couldn't wave his flag furiously enough, couldn't scream "YEAH!!!!" loud enough and quite frankly I'm SHOCKED he didn't crack the seat from bouncing on it!!
So the camo hat only lasted for about the first 5 minutes of being in the sun. I decided to put sun block on his head. Well.... I used some sort of health-food-store-granola sun block from my mom. It turned his hair into a mud-like oatmeal mess that dried INSTANTLY.
Now I'm in a quandry.... he's EXHAUSTED, it's almost naptime & I know by the time I walk back to the house he's going to be out like a light and I am NOT putting that nappy-headed mess in any crib.
So I decided to take advantage of the fact that we live less than 1.5 miles from the beach and we headed on down. Granted, all I had to do was walk around the block once... MAYBE twice & Nick was OUT.
Checking out the surf & turf.
(No, literally... all along the beach here are mega-mansions. As in, the one on the north side of this jetty has their own mini-golf course...)
Pleading with her....
"Adrienne PUH-LEEEEEZE look at me so I can take your picture!!!"
"No mommy! I want to look OVER DHERE!!!!"
And finally after a surprisingly long, quiet sit just watching the ocean...
"Mommy. It's all DURTY!"
So we headed home. Cha-ching! TWO sleeping bambinos!
And how the FRIG are they possibly comfy enough to sleep is totally beyond me...
(Note Nick's head crammed between the 2 metal bars and Adrienne's hips & legs are straight ahead but her torso & face are turned to the side with her arms tucked in...)
Oh, and just for the record, I RUN this distance solo. Holy HELL, walking a double stroller.... I will NEVER again complain about that run!
A crappy-weather Saturday morning... meaning I need to find something exciting to do out & about otherwise someone's going to end up on the naughty chair & I'll be cracking open a bottle of beer by 9am.
Solution: Jenks Aquarium
BUT... it's Saturday of Memorial Day Weekend. I roll the dice and off we go. We got there right when it opened & the parking lot was EMPTY. Granted, I ended up shelling out $15 (yes, FIFTEEN dollars to park in the lot that's always free...) but it was raining & I was solo. Gotta do what ya gotta do... And THEN the little twerp parking attendant told me to park at the far end of the EMPTY lot, right next to the street! Guess again, zit-faced kid who probably doesn't even have a driver's permit yet, I'm parking in the FIRST spot next to the ramp!!!
ANYWAY....... the place was full of bleary-eyed parents and little kids full of WAY too much energy so we were definitely in the right spot. After almost an hour (and going up and down the stairs about 32 times) it was time to mosey. So we headed off down the boardwalk in search of Bagel Bitz, my girlfriend's shop. Oh, and by now it had stopped raining. As luck would have it I just happened to pick the exact row of houses to cut thru and we ended up right next to the building. Sweet! I did NOT want to have to carry / drag those children down Ocean Ave, STROLLERLESS.
We walked in to be face to face with my girlfriend's whole family which was an awesome surprise...! The kids had their bagels and the cream cheese was everywhere.
.jpg)
In the middle of the shop, in the middle of about 2 dozen hung-over Jersey Shore casting call rejects,in the middle of devouring their bagels, Adrienne threw her bagel down & DECLARED , "WE FORGOT TO SAY OUR PRAYERS!!!!!!"
As she launched into her full dinner-time prayer at the top of her lungs, I just looked at the table full of too-tan guys next to me who were all in a dead stop with their coffee cups halfway up to their mouths & said, "I'm not a religious zealot... I used to party like you guys. SWEAR."

Later that evening we headed back to our old stomping grounds for a Sweet 16 birthday party for Ryan (sitting with the guitar & sunglasses). But here's why this Sweet 16 is a little different than most: She's the DAUGHTER OF MY COLLEGE ROOMMATE.
Do the math!!! That math = it is NOT POSSIBLE that I'm that old!!!!!!!
Picking up where we left off at Ryan's Fabulous 15 birthday party LAST summer: Adrienne in the hot tub. But this year, no more skinny dipping. I remembered to bring a bathing suit!
Everyone says she's my clone. I guess they're right. Poor thing even inherited my muffin top.
Making coy faces at me.... awww!
WHOA! That band is LOUD!!!!!
It's virtually impossible to get 'good' shots of kids in a trampoline. Even video barely captures the fun-factor. Adrienne's getting some good bounces & Nick... well, he just loves not being able to stand.
Adrienne getting some sweet air.
Nick face-planting.
Face-plants just make it all the more fun!!!
We're encroaching on recreating the skinny dipping look from last year, I know. But Nick crawled UNDER the trampoline to chase the dog - it was all muddy & weedy under there. He came out covered in slop. I found a puddle at the end of the slip & slide - plopped him in that. He LOVED it. *sigh* It's the simple things at this age...
Meanwhile, Adrienne sees him getting down to his skivvies & she wants in. Or out, as it were. Suddenly the bikini top was too tight on her neck & needed to come off.
She would go about halfway up and run - no slipping or sliding - just run, run, run, keep running, right off the end of the slip n' slide.
At first Nick would only go up a few feet, get a running start....
... come to a DEAD halt (hoo hoo HOOOO!)....
... and then plop down on all fours in the puddle.
But then he experienced his first 'slip'.
... and managed to get a little slide action out of it!
Greg's first day at the track (well, first day that the track has races) so we surprised him with a visit.
The horses are out of the gate & she's clutching her first betting slip. It wasn't a winning one.
(However if I had gotten to the booth in time for the race PRIOR the 2 horses she wanted & the one I wanted - a TRIFECTA! ARGH!!!!)
"I'll smile but I'm reeeaalllly looking at the horses on the track."
How FREAKING CUTE IS SHE!?!?
Our god daughter... LOVE THESE KISSY FACES!!!!!
(I think she's finally forgiven me for the olive oil bath...)
Meet Nemo (the little black & orange guy) & Mickey Mouse.
Mima & Pop Pop decided it was time for their OWN pets.
Adrienne's first gum. Although she seemed oddly informed on what gum is & what to do with it so I'm guessing this probably wasn't her first.... but hey, it's the first gum I'VE given her... so that's all that counts.

Nick rarely has meltdowns but oh... my... LORD.... was this a whopper. An hour & a half this went on.
His favorite show and one of his favorite perches. He better enjoy it now. We're getting a railing in just a few weeks.
So random. So bizarre. But BOTH kids sleep with the upside-down-hand.
To appreciate where our heads were at as the weekend started understand that it was our one & only summer weekend together because Greg will be working 7 days starting this week until the fall. So we had every finger & toe crossed that it was going to be an awesome one...
Was it a weekend worthy of being captured in a Norman Rockwell painting?
Or something out of Nightmare on Elmwood Street?
Scroll on dear viewer, scroll on...
My weekend ritual of TRYING to get a stellar picture of them together. One of these days... (I swear they have a diabolical plan to ONLY allow great pictures of them together to be captured by grainy, low quality cell phone cameras....)
At the choo-choo train park - shocker.
Nick wanted no part of getting a front & center seat to the train pulling into the station.
But once the train pulled out he feverishly waved bye-bye, blew kisses, and promptly asked for "More!".
My 2 little brainiacs playing hide and seek together. They both count in some sort of numerical values that may or may not actually exist in some sort of order that may or may not actually be correct and then shout, "Here I come!" followed by running around in circles like a dog chasing its tail.
We braved a lunch out at Sunste Landing (ok, we ate outside at a picnic table - not exactly a formal establishment) which included feeding the ducks afterwards.
No picture of this one... so bear with the story-telling...
Both the kids went down for a nap at the same time (SWEET!) - I grabbed a beach chair & headed outside for some sun. Once I hit the hour mark (that's right, a FULL hour lying in the sun & even managed to conk out for a few zzz's myself!) I hopped up - ready to take on the next chore on the never-ending to-do list. Just as I got up I spotted this little face in the dining room window peering out at us. Adrienne woke up from her nap & was wandering around the house looking for us. Poor little thing... she couldn't figure out where we went... she was ALL confused. To make it up to her I gave her a pink & yellow polka dot mani-pedi (which also got me another 1/2 hour in the sun... wah-hoo!)
Once her nails were dry, Greg and Adrienne hopped a train (from Allenhurst to Long Branch - a whopping 8 minute ride) where Nick and I picked them up and mosied on to park #2 - 7 Presidents. Hooo-LY! This place was AWESOME!
Super C - It took 2+ years but I finally got a super cool tube picture like Anna's!!
"Space, the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Billows. Its 20-month mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before."
Ahhh-AHHHH-ah-ah-ah-ah-ahhhhhhh
Check out this cool swing! And the kid in the red was such a sweetie! We had been on the (regular) swings next to him (where he filled me in on the little brat that wouldn't stop SCREAMING as his mother just watched him) and when this crazy swing opened up we all headed over to it together. He held Nick's hand so he wouldn't fall off. He even offered to get out and help me push the swing. If only he were a little older... I would've had him babysitting this weekend!
Nick got to go on the beach for the first time a week ago with my parents and LOVED it - although was a little confused about how to walk in the sand. As you can see we BARELY got on to the beach when he flopped right down - and promptly thru a handful of sand into his eyes. Another family walked past & the dad said to him, "Hey little dude, there's a long way to go - it's the sandbox that never ends!"
She's getting so big. She's almost (but not quite) as high as Greg's arse!
Nick meets the Atlantic.
Chasing after the seagulls...
Since the day was going so freakishly perfect we decided to push our luck and go for dinner at Charley's. Again, EATING OUTSIDE! NO better way to take the stress off when eating at a restaurant with kids than to do it outside. (Well, maybe the 2 Orange Crushes I sucked down in 30 seconds had something to do with relieving the stress too...) Anyway, LOOK at how much mac & cheese is on those plates!
Look at the hurtin' she put on the mac & cheese. And she wasn't even DONE! She continued to eat french fries up until the moment we left. And THEN helped to devour a ginormous bowl of ice cream at The Windmill...
Staying dressed up for dinner with his arm covered in stickers.
FINALLY. Something Nick doesn't like to eat.
eh-di-gah = elevator (his new obsession)
And he has now taken to saying 'Yeah?!' and nodding vigorusly when he wants you to agree to do something.
Such as, take ride # 47 in the ehdigah.
Day 2 of our perfect weekend started out with a big question mark because we had packed EVERYTHING we thought of doing into Saturday. Greg had the brainstorm - Great Adventure. We got everyone showered, dressed & out the door in 30 minutes flat and were there the minute the gates opened.
I think 2 of my 3 all-time-favorite pictures of Adrienne are on a merry go round. PURE JOY...
Nick got denied by quite a few rides (too short!). So I took him on the ferris wheel while Adrienne went on the airplane ride. She finished first and was none too happy that we were on a ride without her!
Even Greg looks itty-bitty from the top of the (kids) ferris wheel!
(When we went on the ferris wheel the first time Adrienne & Greg were in the car next to us which is why he's waving hello to her even though she isn't there.)
I don't know how his fingertips didn't have blisters on them by the end of the day... "More... more... MORE!!!"
No hands!!!!!
I tried to teach Adrienne "no hands!!" but she prefered the clutching-for-dear-life approach.
If he wasn't chanting "more, more, MORE!" he was saying, "Up!! Up!!" Note that we're parallel to the tops of the trees. A little thrill-seeker, this one... we are in T-R-O-U-B-L-E.
Wait, what's Greg doing up here with me.... oh, nope. That's NICK!
Ehhh, I GUESS this is kinda fun....
Hangin' with Greg
There's NO way I could've gotten this if I tried. I flipped the camera over self-portrait-style & just snapped off a few...
Sitting in the 3rd row just wasn't close enough for Nick...
Oh... my.... GOSH!!! There they are.... ThE WIGGLES!!!!!
No comment needed...
Getting warmed up with the motions from the safety of her seat.
She finally graduated to some shimmying & shaking.
And Nick joined in with his foot-stompin', rootin'-tootin' moves.
The final stop of the day - the Looney Tunes house. Part jungle gym, part paint ball, part ball pit. Nick discovered he could belly flop (seriously, THROW himself down) and then "swim" while floating on the balls.
Greg & Nick joined forces on a mission to suck up as many balls as possible...
... to tip over Daffy's boat.
I think Greg had the most fun of everyone that day.
As far as they know, getting splashed by the fountain is Great Adventure's sole water ride.
Until next time...

She was just a *little* excited...
.jpg)
Didn't last long - especially after she figured out how to tip the rake over and watch the tines wiggle back and forth. BOOOIIINNGG
The master is trying to show her young apprentice the art of 'the pose'.
It's not going so well.
We play 'I Got It!' - chasing after the ball (or him).
(watch the ball bounce off his own head)
More of 'I Got It!' then Adrienne asks to play too. I said sure... but Nick wasn't thrilled with that plan.
Mother's Day Cupcakes, Part I - Baking
Basically, this was Nick's contribution to the cupcake making - he dumped in the mix.
Adrienne did a surprisingly great job with cracking the eggs into the bowl...
Nick looked SO sad that Adrienne got to beat the eggs so I gave him a fork to help her out. He swished it around all of 2 times when he went to take a lick off the fork. I screamed, no, more like SHRIEKED at him.
He wasn't so happy with me after that.
What better way to lure him back into baking than a promise of licking the spoon!? (because, of course, raw egg in batter is COMPLETELY different than plain ol' raw egg...)
With cupcakes baked & cooling we all get bundled up in jackets only to open the front door into a wall of warmth. Not that I'm complaining but wasn't it supposed to be all sorts of chilly and possibly rainy on Saturday!? We went to the park and then to the Cypress for lunch. En route Adrienne informed me that I should take her to have lunch with Daddy, bring Nick home for nonnie and then come back and get her. Thank you for planning my day out for me. ANYWAY, indeed, Nick had already passed out in the car & slept right through our Cypress visit and then Adrienne fell asleep on the way home. I got her upstairs and by the time I got back to the car Nick was waking up. I wasn't going to risk going upstairs to find a t-shirt & shorts for him with her still half awake so we stayed outside and Nick went for the TPT look.
Knocked down trees, ripped out shrubs, dirt, dirt, dirt, bubbles and no big sister to get in his way - SWEET.
When Adrienne went down for her nap I realized I broke BOTH of my own cardinal laws about naptime: Nothing to drink 1hr+ before naptime and she has to go potty RIGHT before going to bed. So she woke up and the sheets, mattress cover and comfortor all got stripped off the bed. I got it all downstairs into the kitchen and my cell rang. "Want to come out to play?" It was my BFF...! "Sure, but give me a 1/2 hour - I need to regroup here. Nick's 1/2 naked and Adrienne's bed just got stripped. "Nope. We're out front now!"
And so they were! The girls had a blast playing dressup...
I whipped it up and let Adrienne pick (and put in) the color.Little tip to all you NON-Martha-Stewart-moms out there: A) A little food dye goes a LONG way and B) Wear a space suit because once it runs along your finger nails kiss french manis goodbye for a SEVERAL months.Back to the cupcakes... I let Nick do his nouna's - icing AND decorations. Adrienne iced one too but took off about 3/4" worth of cake so I made the executive decision to ice the cupcakes and let them decorate.
Nick didn't last long - once he realized he wasn't allowed to eat the icing OR the sprinkles OR the M&Ms he quickly lost interest.
Ta-da! Smurf Droppings!! Umm, I mean.... Mother's Day Cupcakes for all!
Showing PopPop how to repair flooring. He needs help on these things because he obviously doesn't know what he's doing...
She gave up and just did the work herself. He's a hopeless case....
(don't mind the banana in her teeth - I've officially become my mother who INSISTS on taking pictures of people while they're eating)
Since I just COULD NOT get enough of the hair I dragged them outside for a 7am photo op. This is about as good as it got...
Sitting nicely gave way to Gene Simmons and Nick staring at the grass, which of course, is far more interesting than looking at his mother.
Oh wait... it's not grass that has his attention but a big ol' fat bumble bee. Nick's fascinated, Adrienne pouts. *sigh*
Adrienne's still pouting. Nick's off to capture the rogue insect.
I snatched him back - wasn't ready to give up on getting a picture just yet - and plopped him down next to Adrienne again who grabbed his hand in a moment of sisterly love.... awww!
Then she went for the arm around his shoulders... Double awww!
It was this one split second that all was right in the world until he reached up and smacked her in the head because he was done with the hugging.
Once a week she has a ballet class at daycare. She LIVES for this class and I finally remembered to send in my camera to get a glimpse of what class is like.
(Not sure why she's wearing her sweater - she has an adorable pink tank on underneath that was tres chic to complete her ensemble... With the sweater on she's looking a little more pink Humpty than svelt ballerina.. oh well...)
Action shot
There's something VERY Little Miss Sunshine about this picture...
I have NO idea what's going on here although I guess (??!!) it's cute / relevant since the teacher took a picture... I'll show Adrienne & ask her what they're doing...
All of the Sugar Plum Fairies...
(I know she's a peanut but to see her next to these girls.... she's so itty bitty!!!!)
You know I read it in a magazine
B-B-B-Bennie and the Jets..."
FINALLY! We've been waiting for this day for almost a year and a half... we get to Christen our neice!
But, being that this IS Adrienne & Nick's blog, I've got to start off recapping the day with pictures of them.
This is EXACTLY what Nick looks like in church: a blur. From the moment we walk in to the narthex until the moment he gets strapped back down into his carseat (with Greg & me both mumbling something about not taking him to church again until he's 18) he turns into a wild child. I'm pretty sure the last church service we attended where he wasn't acting like Chucky was his OWN Christening...
(Oh! But the OUTFIT... cream linen cargo pants... argyle with pink... Kenneth Cole loafers... dippy-do hair flip... really!??! REALLY!! Can you STAND it?!?!)
The little princess in her satin balloon dress. Thank HEAVEN for Uncle Arthur taking 4 trillion pictures... this is one of the ONLY pictures I have of her from the day!!
.jpg)
In addition to Tori's Christening it was also 5 week old Logan's debut who put his parents (Tori's other set of godparents) through the ringer this week when he decided to have emergency surgery 4 days before the Christening.
Tori was a little nervous before the ceremony. To take the edge off she somehow managed to get her hands on Father Andrew's stash of incense...
This is just a GREAT daddy-daughter picture. Love it, love it, love it!
.jpg)
The Christening Ensemble and My Obsession for the past 3 weeks: Tying bows, ironing linens, locating coordinating accessories, making it all look like Martha Stewart waved her magic wand over it and THEN keeping all of the above out of the reach of 2 sticky-fingered children and 1 ribbon-eating cat.
The ceremony starts in the back of the church where she had a blast with Father Andrew's prayer book. As in, a blast to the point that she sent Father Andrew into a voice-cracking giggle fit!
So we'll skip ahead to the 'good parts'. For all you non-Greeks, part of the ceremony involves an olive oil bath. From head to toe, she gets rubbed down with extra virgin olive oil. (Colavita, in case you're wondering...)
"WHY UNCLE GREG, WHY?! I do nothing but coo and bat my eyes at you... and you baste me like a turkey getting ready for the fryer?!"
Three times the oil-basted-baby gets swung up in to the air and then a full body dunk in the baptismal font.
Poor Keri.... she's never been a fan of the big dunk.
LOOK at that scowl!!
"You are so NOT my favorite aunt right now."
Possibly one of my favorite pictures of the year. Dan is downright SLAPHAPPY when it comes time for Peter to kiss his right hand. Yes, the parents had to kiss the godparent's hand. It's a sign of respect, thank you very much!
Tori and the cast of folks that are going to be her spiritual guides through life.
Wow. Start praying for her now.
C.jpg)
Our beautiful neice and now goddaughter... Victoria!
All of the "parents" got a chance to have their own photo op with her. With her nouno (godfather) & nouna (godmother)...
With her godmother & godfather...
and her parents!
Now that the ceremony is over, let the party begin! Adrienne headed STRAIGHT for the bar where she not only lined up the munchies and Heines but also started hitting on Dan! A married man no less!
My parents hung with the kids almost the ENTIRE time (well, except when Adrienne was at the bar hitting on married men....) which gave Greg & me a chance to actually enjoy the party, the people AND the kids without any worry over watching them! Doesn't get better than that!
.jpg)
OK, this all started because my neice (in the blue, green & purple dress) and I swapped shoes... just to see if I would fit. Turns out she wears a size 8. I wear a 7 1/2. She EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!
Next is Adrienne (in the pink and orange dress) wearing Tori's socks which I totally snatched off the poor baby's feet. Adrienne wore her pink jelly shoes which completely tore up her ankles and I didn't think to bring a spare pair of shoes. We didn't want her running barefoot on the deck so I had to think of someone who had extra clothes with them... It's highly unlikely that Tori will be getting these socks back since they pretty much turned black from running around in them all day...
Then there's Uncle Arthur's shoe (even when taking a picture he does his best to be IN the picture), Elena, Anne's ridiculously tan leg and moi - showing off our pedis.
.jpg)
Me & my BOY!
.jpg)
When I married Greg I 'inherited' 2 godsons whom he had already Christened years before. (Thankfully there's no oil rubbing ceremony in the inheritance process. Being that 1 of the boys was about 11 and the other about 16 when we got married that would've been a tad awkward...) ANYWAY, since we're celebrating our goddaughter it's a perfect time to show off one of my devestatingly handsome godsons (in white). And that would be his very adorable twin brother (in blue). Our other godson is up in Mass. so next time we visit I'll have to snag a picture of him to share with all the single ladies.
C.jpg)
A very serious self-portrait with Uncle Arthur.
C.jpg)
Hair: Flat as a pancake
Face: Smattered with crumbs
Cream Linen Pants: Streaked with grass, mud, food, and things unknown
Being a Boy Through and Through: Priceless
C.jpg)
Tori has to go up for communion 3 times. The first of which is at the Christening, the second at church the next day. As if I'm not usually panicked enough to walk up in front of the entire Greek congregation (read: bitty ol' gossip hens) I now have to do it SOLO because Nick, being Nick, lasted in church for, ohhh, MAYBE 3 minutes before throwing a tantrum. So with Greg & Nick outside I took Tori up for her communion. Meanwhile I have my mother in law whisper-shouting across multiple pews that I have to get the candle lit. WITH WHAT? I can't go all the way to the back of the church at this point because I'm one of the first in line. Thankfully a few of the ladies saw the panic setting in & told me I could go ALL the way up on to, yes ON TO, the alter to light it off of an offering candles. Oh great. Now I have to break out of line, traipse all the way up ON TO (repeat: ON TO) the alter and bend over in front of E-V-E-R-Y-O-N-E. Of course I do all this and as soon as my arse is in the air I hear, "Whatch you doin', mommy?!" Adrienne followed me up there. #$%^&^%$ GET BACK IN LINE!! So now I have a lit candle, a baby and I'm trying to whisper-yell-coax Adrienne back off the alter. Someone please give me a Xanax. NOW.
But we survived. Tori got her communion. I didn't pass out. And I even managed to stop & pose for a picture on the way back down the aisle.
1 comment:
Love it! I don't know *how* you do it all, and always with a great big SMILE on your face! I particularly love the sequence of photos where Nick gets pissed that you wouldn't let him eat the raw egg. So freakin' funny!
Post a Comment